Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fathers, Daughters, & John Mayer

It is absolutely amazing how music can reach the soul in a way that nothing else does. I am constantly listening to music in my car, on walks, in my office, and I am sure many other points during my day. I have always appreciate lyrics, I pay attention to what they say and see what changes in me when I hear poetry sang aloud to a nice melodic background. For this reason, I have never been one to appreciate music that I cannot hear/understand the lyrics. I want to know what the artist is trying to say, and gauging as to what is their message? John Mayer, though a complete idiot at times, has a way of speaking to situations in my life. The song "Daughters" from one of his older albums basically summarizes exactly what it has always felt like having not known my "dad." The song opens up by conveying a romantic relationship that has been complicated by a hurting father/daughter relationship. Every SINGLE time I hear this song I feel this great sense of relief---as if his words are direct permission to feel the feelings I have in regard to this part of my journey.

Amen, John Mayer. You may be a tool in some areas of your life, but I love your lyrics.

No comments: